About Us – Professional Details
Julie joined Connelly Law Offices in 2011 and is a vital member of the firm. She holds an impressive trial record that includes over $20 million in jury verdicts and settlements in excess of $18 million. Although Julie handles all areas of civil litigation, she is a passionate advocate for physically and sexually abused adult and child victims. Because of her extensive experience and knowledge prosecuting offenders, Julie is often invited to speak on panels discussing the rights of child victims.
J.D., Seattle University School of Law, Cum Laude
B.A., Seattle University, Political Science
Washington State Bar Association
- Flyte v. Summit View Clinic, $16.75 million jury verdict - 2015
- Chagoya v. State, $14 million settlement - 2014
- Elias v. City of Seattle, $2.8 million jury verdict - 2016
- T.D. v. State, $2.5 million settlement - 2016
- T.T. v. State, $2.035 million settlement - 2016
- SJ v. State, $1.8 million settlement - 2016
- Gregory v. State, $1.1 million settlement - 2016
- Ferguson et al v. King County, $1 million settlement - 2013
- Fletcher v. State, $750,000 settlement - 2016
- Cox v. Gig Harbor, $310,000 settlement - 2014
Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, King County Prosecutor's Office, Criminal Division, October 2000-2011
Sexual Assault Unit, May 2007- 2011, January 2003- July 2004
Supervising Attorney, Juvenile Unit, May 2006- May 2007
Appellate Unit, July 2005- May 2006
Trial Teams Unit, July 2004- July 2005
Domestic Violence Unit, October 2001- January 2003
Special Drug Unit, May 2001-October 2001
Juvenile Unit, October 2001- May 2001
Van Ness Feldman, Legislative Assistant, August 1997- May 1999
Senior Legislative Assistant, United States Senator Slade Gorton, January 1991- August 1997
PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND INTERESTS:
August 9, 2013, San Francisco, CA - American Bar Association Annual Meeting Invited Speaker, "Child Victims in the Juvenile System."
- Because of her extensive experience in prosecuting offenders who committed sexual assaults against children, the American Bar Association's Criminal Justice Section invited Julie to speak on a panel discussing the rights of child victims in our criminal justice system.
2010 Recipient of the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Award for "Outstanding Trial Advocacy in Criminal Litigation
2007 Candidate for U.S. Attorney for Western District of Washington
1995 Recipient of U.S. Senator Slade Gorton's "Outstanding Legislative Assistant of the Year" Award
October 2010 Guest speaker at Harborview Sexual Assault Center Pediatric Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner annual training
December 2010 Guest speaker at The Seminar Group CLE: "Attorney CSI: Using Criminal Forensic Methods to Win Civil Cases."
Law review article: U.S. Senator Gorton and Julie Kays. "Salvage Logging: Point and Counterpoint: Legislative History of the Timber Salvage Amendments Enacted in 104th Congress: A small victory for timber communities in the Pacific Northwest."
JULIE IN THE NEWS:
- Jury: Seattle owes $2.8 million to sidelined Seattle cops
- DOC pays domestic violence victim $1.1 million
- State to pay $8 million to 6 siblings who apparently suffered abuse
- Families of Marysville school shooting victims seek millions
- Gig Harbor's first woman police sergeant sues
- Could abuse death of toddler on Tulalip Reservation have been prevented?